Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010's Most Disappointing Game

Before I say which game was the biggest disappointment this year let me first make a couple things clear:
  • These games are NOT BAD! They just didn't live up to my expectations.
  • This is my opinion.  Take your fanboyism somewhere else if you disagree.
With that out of the way, I regretfully bring you 2010's biggest letdowns.

Fable III
By Lionhead Studios (released 10/26)

Fable and Xbox go hand in hand like God of War with Playstation or Mario with Nintendo.  Obviously, Fable comes nowhere near as good as the other two franchises named but the point is still valid that Fable has and will most likely always be a Microsoft exclusive.  With that being said, Fable was supposed to be this incredible title that Peter Molyneux (designer) hyped up.  Each year his games were letdowns but they still very enjoyable.  I actually played through Fable 2 a couple times and enjoyed it's hokey humor so naturally, I was looking forward to it's sequel.  Sadly, I feel like Fable 3 seemed to be more of the same but whereas some games did it successfully (see Fallout: New Vegas) Fable 3 actually seemed worse off.  Yes your decisions more greatly affect the outcome of Albion and true the graphics are better but what else has evolved since Fable 2 came out two years ago?  Even in the graphical department it seemed to be only a minor improvement.  The combat seems largely unchanged and you now have an infinite amount of magic.  With your ability to consistently spam magic, you can quickly dispose of waves of enemies as you troll through the sadly boring world.  I tried my hardest to finish the game but I could never play more then one hour without fighting to stay awake.  Don't get me wrong, I've gotten well past halfway through but it's a chore playing this title and at the end of the day, games are meant to be fun.  Fable 2 = Fun.  Fable 3 = Nyquil. 

*I'm aware of the fact that Fable 3 has gotten relatively favorable scores garnering an 80 overall on Metacritic.  Doesn't change the fact that I don't like it.

Honorable Mentions: Gran Turismo 5, Comic Jumper, 70% of the games on the Kinect and Playstation Move, and Alan Wake.

No comments:

Post a Comment