Monday, December 27, 2010

2010's Best PS3 Title

Heavy Rain
Quantic Dream (Released 2/23)

Before we get into the debate on whether or not Heavy Rain is truly a video game as opposed to a interactive movie, let's get one thing straight: Heavy Rain is one of the most memorable video game experiences I've had this year.  Whether you've played it or not, I'm sure that at one point, you were intrigued as to what all the fuss is about.  Gameplay consisting almost entirely of quick-time events and context sensitive segments are the bulk of what players are tasked to do.  The story unfolds through four protagonists eyes as you try to uncover the identity of the origami killer.  I've already covered Heavy Rain in a previous review so instead I'm going to explain why it won my PS3 Game of the Year.  For starters, most gamers that I know who own both the PS3 and 360 generally favor the 360.  Don't get us wrong, the PS3 is a great system but most people I know tend to use it more as a blu ray player and less as a console.  Apparently, less then half of all PS3 owners use the system for gaming.  I've played a few exclusives for the PS3 (God of War and 3D Dot Game Heroes to name a few) but Heavy Rain was the only title that actually made me wanna continue playing.  Never before (or since) has my hands sweated so much playing a game and I literally could not stop playing.  Since Heavy Rain though, no other title has compelled me to wanna use my PS3 over my 360.  While I have a lot of love for Sony, I'm primarily an Xbox 360 guy so for a title to not only pull me away from the 360, but keep me off it (at least temporarily) is definitely reason enough to award it my PS3 game of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment