Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Metro 2033 Review (Xbox 360)

Metro 2033 is an FPS (first person shooter) game developed by 4A Games.  You play Artyom in a post apocalyptic Moscow, year 2033.  You (as well as most other humans) reside in the subways because the surface atmosphere can only be ventured when you're wearing a gas mask (as indicated by the box art).  Even without the masks, the surface is far too dangerous for most because of the beasts that inhabit the land.  To be honest, I didn't really get too into the story and probably couldn't explain it that well.  From what I gathered, you're trying to reach the center of the Metro Station to broadcast a warning to the people about these mysterious Dark Ones.  Along the way there are different types of beasts, as well as many human forces in your way.  There are apparently multiple endings and to prevent any spoilers, I won't say much more.  The game is short anyways so you could easily rent it and beat it in a day or two.

As funny as it sounds, the worst part about this game is the shooting mechanics.  Often times it feels as if things are off.  While I wouldn't have minded this years ago, the A.I. for more current games are a lot more smarter and react accordingly.  Also, there seem to be some bugs in the game making certain areas nearly unbeatable.  Most might compare this post apocalyptic shooter to another famous one (Fallout 3) but that's where I would disagree.  Fallout 3's shooting mechanics are almost nonexistent considering that most of us just used the VATS system.  Fallout 3 was a huge sandbox style game which gave the player many moral choices that could change your experience completely as opposed to Metro 2033's very linear formula.  That's not to say that Metro 2033 is a bad game, just don't expect the 40+ hour quest that Fallout 3 provided.

How could the shooting mechanics be the worst thing about an FPS, yet you still consider it a decent game?  Now before I have many questioning my ideas on what to base great gameplay on, I want to explain that I also like to consider games experiences.  Metro 2033 has one of the most epic atmospheres I've ever seen in a game.  The actual subways seem so rich with many people having conversations at once.  You could walk from one end of a station to the other hearing Russians sing (very catchy), a child trying to con you out of a bullet (currency) and others just laughing about life.  The developers must be commended for their ability to make the Metro feel alive.  Also, the graphics themselves aren't too bad with the lighting being some of the best I've seen in years. 

This is getting lengthy so let's sum this up...

SUMMARY

Pathetic

Shooting Mechanics aren't polished enough
A.I. not up to par with todays standards
Some chapters are ridiculously irritating



Very Nice!

Atmosphere is one of the best I've seen in years
Sneaking is very rewarding and feels like a first person Splinter Cell
Some eerily creepy moments help the game feel alive





FINAL GRADE: C+
While I can't say that this game is amazing, I can say that I did enjoy the short ride.  I enjoyed sneaking around and using throwing knives to silently take out guards and couldn't help but to smile as I heard my fellow russians wax nostalgic.  This doesn't excuse the games major downfalls, but it's a unique experience and I would say its worth a rental.

1 comment: